It’s Monday, and we’re coming at you with a brand new episode of Podtrificus Totalus! In this week’s episode, we cover chapter six of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, “Talons and Tea Leaves,” in which Harry, Ron, and Hermione start their third year at Hogwarts. They begin new courses (some more than others), and Hermione must decide where she draws the line between magic and card tricks.
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- Pansy Parkinson on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- ugly: in defense of pansy parkinson by dirgewithoutmusic on AO3
- Dirge Without Music by Edna St. Vincent Millay
- That Girl is a Goddamn Problem: Girl Hate and Beyond in Harry Potter
- Sir Cadogan on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- “Meeting Sir Cadogan,” a deleted scene from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Cadogan on the Harry Potter Wiki
- Sir Cadogan on Wizarding World
- Sybill Trelawney on Wizarding World
- Sibyls on Mythology Encyclopedia
- Sense and Sensibility (1995)
- Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)
- Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1994)
- Thor (2011)
- Sybil Leek, notorious psychic
- Hippogriff on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- “Hippogriffs Deserve to Die” by Draco and the Malfoys
- Divination on Wikipedia
Our Spell of the Week for this episode is Divination, which is the new course the trio begins together this year, taught by Professor Trelawney.
We also answer emails from two of our regular listeners (and emailers), Jose and Viv, on horsebuses and magical schools outside of Hogwarts.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 3.7, “The Boggart in the Wardrobe!” Have a magical day!