It’s Monday — you know us, you love us, it’s time for Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done book by book, chapter by chapter.
This week we cover chapter five of Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, in which Harry encounters a clumsy metaphor for depression — I mean, a new and foreboding creature in the magical world! — meets his new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and eats some chocolate.
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- Friends at the Table and The Adventure Zone
- Brookyln 99 (TV Series)
- The Lord of the Rings series
- The scary Beowulf movie from 2007
- Romeo + Juliet (1996)
- A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
- Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- Finding Nemo (2003)
- Lupin’s personality type is ENFJ, per J.K. Rowling’s Twitter (transphobia warning if you visit her account)
- JKR’s “Idle Jottings,” preserved by the Harry Potter Lexicon, which reference that the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher in Prisoner of Azkaban may have been a woman at some point in the writing process
- Q&A with J.K. Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival (15 August 2004) on Accio Quote
- Ann Treneman interview with J.K. Rowling for The Times (30 June 2000) on Accio Quote
- Dementor on the Harry Potter Wiki
- Dementors and Chocolate on Wizarding World
Our Spell of the Week for this episode is chocolate, which seems to have some magical properties in the Harry Potter universe.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
You can hear more from our guests, Kevin Rizza and Lauren Kelley, on the Why Can’t We Be Wizards podcast. Check out the show on Twitter (@WhyNotWizards) and Instagram (@WhyNotWizards). You can also find Kevin on Twitter as @RizzaKevin.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 3.6, “Talons and Tea Leaves!” Have a magical day!