This week on Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book, Cassie and Joe talk about racial allegory and The Voice for chapter seven of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, “Mudbloods and Murmurs.”
Oliver Wood wakes Harry up early for Quidditch practice, but they find that the Slytherins also have a claim on the Quidditch pitch. The team gets into a scrap that ends with Malfoy calling Hermione a Mudblood and Ron burping up slugs. Later, Harry serves his detention with Gilderoy and hears a mysterious voice.
We make a number of references to outside sources, which are listed below:
- Chaucer’s Losers, Nintendo’s Children, and Other Forays in Queer Ludonarratology by Tison Pugh (Published by University of Nebraska Press in 2019)
- Leering to a Man by Fanfiction.net user ShadowChik
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Edinburgh “cub reporter” press conference, ITV, (16 July 2005)
- Channel 4 interview with J.K. Rowling (Richard Madeley & Judy Finnigan; 26 June 2006)
- Gladys Gudgeon on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- The Slug-vomiting Charm on the Harry Potter Compendium
Our Spell of the Week is the Slug-vomiting Charm, which Ron attempts to use on Malfoy, but it backfires.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 2.8, “The Deathday Party!” Have a magical day!