We’re coming at you a few hours later than usual with a new episode of Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book.
In chapter six of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Ron gets a Howler from Mrs. Weasley and must deal with his broken wand, Harry unwillingly gets a few lessons in fame from Gilderoy Lockhart, and Hermione cleans up the mess of their incompetent Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
We make a number of references to outside sources, which are listed below:
- The Howler trading card
- Fantastically Wrong: The Murderous Plant That Grows From the Blood of Hanged Men on Wired
- Mandrake on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Falstaff’s reference to mandrakes in Henry IV, Act I, Scene 2
- Falstaff’s reference to mandrakes in Henry IV, Part II, Act III, Scene 2
- The Earl of Suffolk’s reference to mandrakes in Henry VI, Part II, Act III, Scene 2
- Juliet’s reference to mandrakes in Romeo and Juliet, Act IV, Scene 3
- Justin Finch-Fletchley on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Colin on Behind the Name
- Order of Merlin on Wizarding World
- The Freezing Charm on the Harry Potter Wiki
Our Spell of the Week is the Freezing Charm, which Hermione uses to stop the pixies that Lockhart releases in class.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 2.7, “Mudbloods and Murmurs!” Have a magical day!