It’s Monday, and that means a new episode of Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book.
This episode continues our coverage of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. In the second chapter, we meet Dobby the House Elf, who reveals a dangerous plot at Hogwarts that he’ll do anything to keep Harry away from — including spelling out trouble with the Dursleys.
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- Dobby’s birthday is June 28th, according to this Tweet
- Hobgoblin and dobby in Oxford English Dictionary
- Dobby on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender, a children’s TV series
- Mafalda Hopkirk on the Harry Potter Wiki
- The Hover Charm on the Harry Potter Wiki
Our Spell of the Week for this episode is the Hover Charm, which Dobby uses to levitate Petunia’s pudding and land Harry in a heap of trouble with the Dursleys.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 2.3, “The Burrow!” Have a magical day!