It’s Monday and that means yet another episode of Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book. We continue our coverage of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with mounting rumors about Harry’s connections to the attacks on students. Snape and Lockheart host a disastrous Dueling Club that does little to improve Harry’s reputation or the students’ preparedness, and two more denizens of Hogwarts are petrified by the end of the chapter.
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- The Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger
- The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
- Filius Flitwick on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Gilmore Girls and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino
- Miss S. Fawcett on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- Rictusempra, the Tickling Charm, on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- J.K. Rowling interview at the Royal Albert Hall (Stephen Fry; 26 June 2003)
- Parsel in the Oxford English Dictionary
- “Wizard Chess,” a song by Harry and the Potters
- Hannah Abbott on the Harry Potter Lexicon
Our Spell of the Week is Expelliarmus, which the students learn at the Dueling Club and which will probably return many more times throughout this podcast.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Spotify, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
You can hear more from our guest, Bri Castellini, on the Burn, Noticed podcast, which covers the TV show Burn Notice on an episode-by-episode basis. You can also find Bri on her personal website as well as on Twitter and Instagram as @brisownworld.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 2.12, “The Polyjuice Potion!” Have a magical day!