Mysteries are solved and soundboards are abused this week on Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book, when Harry, Ron, and Hermione at last discover who Nicolas Flamel is and Cassie relives childhood fears.
After giving a bullied Neville a Chocolate Frog card, Harry remembers where he first heard Nicolas Flamel’s name. Hermione pulls out a giant book and the trio finally uncovers what Fluffy is guarding. Snape referees Gryffindor’s Quidditch match, and Harry overhears a foreboding conversation.
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel on Wikipedia
- The Book of Hieroglyphic Figures, attributed to Nicolas Flamel (1612)
- Sir Isaac Newton
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (1831)
- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (2003)
- As Above, So Below (2014)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (2001-2010)
- The book series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel by Michael Scott
- The Leg-Locker Curse on the Harry Potter Wiki
- These two terrifying sound clips from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on the PlayStation 2
- A bolas, a thrown weapon used to capture animals by their legs
- A deleted scene from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001), in which Neville hops into the Great Hall after being jinxed
Our spell of the week for this episode is Locomotor Mortis, or the Leg-Locker Curse, which Draco uses on Neville and which lives eternally embedded in Cassie’s memory.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, Tumblr, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via iTunes, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 1.14, “Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback!” Have a magical day!