This week on Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book, Cassie and Joe get sad during chapter twelve of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, “The Mirror of Erised.”
With the Christmas holidays upon Hogwarts, Harry and the Weasleys are left mostly alone to enjoy snowball fights and lavish Christmas dinners, but a mysterious gift enables Harry to explore the castle unseen at night. He discovers the Mirror of Erised, a magical device that shows the viewer their deepest desire. Harry is entranced by the mirror, but at what cost?
We make a number of references to outside sources and popular culture, which are listed below:
- Professor Kettleburn, the Care of Magical Creatures Professor
- Rowling had a “childhood fear of scary librarians” via Twitter (25 June 2015)
- Rowling’s comments on Madam Pince and librarians in “An Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp” (2 August 2006)
- Back at it Again at Krispy Kreme, a popular Vine
- The Mirror of Erised is one of Rowling’s favorite chapters, per a Channel 4 interview (Richard Madeley & Judy Finnigan; 26 June 2006)
- Rowling on losing her mother in “Harry Potter and Me,” a BBC Christmas Special (28 December 2001)
- The Mirror of Erised on Pottermore
- The Ebublio Jinx on the Harry Potter Wiki
Our spell of the week for this episode is Ebublio, a spell which traps the victim in an impenetrable bubble.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, Tumblr, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via iTunes, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 1.13, “Nicolas Flamel!” Have a magical day!