We’re back after a short break for a new episode of Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book!
This week’s episode covers chapter seven of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, “The Sorting Hat.” Harry and his fellow first-years at last arrive at Hogwarts and face the titular Sorting Hat, who places them into the four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.
We make a number of references to outside sources and pop culture in this episode, which are listed below:
- Neville Chamberlain, former Prime Minister
- Longbotom Leaf from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- The Fat Friar on the Harry Potter Wiki
- Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on the Harry Potter Wiki
- Lewis Carroll’s “Jabberwocky“
- Garlic Bread
- /u/principled_principal’s thread about Michael Gambon on /r/harrypotter
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
Our spell of the week for this episode is Spongify, which Neville may have used when dangled out of a window by his uncle. We also answer a listener email correcting us on information from 1.05 Diagon Alley.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, Tumblr, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via iTunes, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 1.08, “The Potions Master!” Have a magical day!