Podtrificus Totalus is here with a brand new, fashionably late episode of Podtrificus Totalus, a Harry Potter podcast done chapter by chapter, book by book.
This week we cover chapter five of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, “Diagon Alley.” In this chapter we at last enter the magical Wizarding World as we follow Harry and Hagrid into Gringotts, the wizard bank, and shops for textbooks, golden cauldrons, robes, an owl, and a wand. Rowling continues to build on the close relationship between Harry and Hagrid in an ultimately eventful and heartwarming chapter.
We make a number of references to outside sources and pop culture in this episode, which are listed below:
- Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter by Galadriel Waters (Ed. Astre Mithrandir; Published by Wizarding World Press in 2003)
- Daily Record interview with Robbie Coltrane (Rick Fulton; 19 July 2006)
- Igor, Dr. Frankenstein’s hunchback assistant in film adaptations
- The Economics of the Wizarding World Don’t Make Sense by Harry and the Potters
- Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion on Pottermore
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
- Barnes & Noble interview with J.K. Rowling (in which JKR confirms Hagrid was in Gryffindor)
- tumblr user randomthingsthatilike on why Hagrid should have been a Slytherin
Our spell of the week for this episode is Engorgio Skullus, as featured in LEGO Harry Potter. We also answer a question from Hannah from the Film Roast podcast about the first years in Philosopher’s Stone with which we identify.
We encourage our listeners to send emails to [email protected] correcting us, expanding on something we mentioned, asking questions, and sharing their experiences with the Harry Potter series. You can also interact with us through @podtrificus on Twitter, our Facebook page, Tumblr, or by leaving a comment below.
We are also available on podcast services. You can subscribe to us via iTunes, Google Play, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, and more — just search us on your favorite podcast app or use the direct link to our feed. Hit the subscribe buttons on our website to make sure you don’t miss out on new episodes of Podtrificus Totalus.
Thanks for listening and we’ll see you again for 1.06, “The Journey From Platform Nine and Three Quarters!” Have a magical day!
2 responses to “1.05 Diagon Alley”
[…] Snape, who seems to have a mysterious grudge against him. The mystery of the little package from chapter five also develops in this chapter, with the revelation of a break in at […]
[…] Our spell of the week for this episode is Spongify, which Neville may have used when dangled out of a window by his uncle. We also answer a listener email correcting us on information from 1.05 Diagon Alley. […]